Thursday 23 May 2013

A pirate quilt


I have finished a cot quilt for a little boy (who is now 6 months old- oops!) who has a pirate themed bedroom. I had fun putting this quilt together. There are some great pirate fabrics around. I chose a pirate print, a skull and cross bones pattern, along with waves and pirate treasure ( and a map fabric for the back). I had the woodgrain fabric in my stash from years ago.

I continued with my idea of keeping it simple so I can get it finished and appliqued a big pirate ship for the middle. I made my own paper piecing pattern for three little boats, which I am really pleased with.


I mostly quilted following the straight lines but then I also added a little free-motion quilting by sewing some waves in the sea...


... and some clouds in the sky.


Here's the treasure map on the back. I think this might be my favourite bit!


1 comment: