Wednesday 16 November 2011

Millefiori - inspiration and beads


While we were at the "Power of Making" exhibition at the V&A, my friend and I had a little look at the glass gallery. I was very pleased to find traditional glass millefiori as I have spent a lot of the past month teaching people how to make Fimo canes. I am always amazed at how the glass makers can produce the canes as I am used to making my canes in a malleable clay, not boiling hot melted glass!

I love the stripy edges of these canes.


This plate is made using large stripy canes.


And here's my version! I took the Fimo canes I had made at classes and demonstrations recently and made them into beads. It's my new favourite necklace and when people ask about it, I get to do my Fimo sales pitch. The assistant on the coach to London my be coming to one of my classes after our chat about my necklace!



1 comment:

  1. Fabulous necklace. I can never get my canes to stick together and make a flower I just end up with a brown mess.

    That glass work is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete