Friday 14 January 2011

New Years resolution 2011


My New Year's resolution this year is to get more creative with my home and not just in my scrapbooks.

We moved into our house 5 years ago and it had cream walls and beige carpet and we haven't decorated anywhere, apart from an extrememly pink bedroom as requested by the girls! It's all just got too bland for me. I always wonder if people find my house a little disappointing as they know I'm crafty and love colour, but my house really doesn't say that at all. The final straw came just before Christmas when I read an interview with Kaffe Fassett in "Making" magazine. He said something about how your rooms should reflect you. I'm definitely not a beige person.

I'm particularly focusing on downstairs this year. I've already bought new curtain fabric in the January sales, which my Mum has very kindly offered to make into curtains for me. Aren't mum's great. I'm going to introduce more colour by making some new cushion covers - patchwork and probably knitting too, using wool and fabric I've already got. I'm also hoping to make a simple quilt to hang over the back of the sofa.

Our hallway is quite dark and the first of my new items has just been put up this evening, fairy lights as shown in the photo above. We hung Christmas lights around the mosaic mirror in my hall (which I made ages ago) and it really brightened up the space. Now the Christmas lights have been packed away, I've got some all-year-round lights instead, which cast very pretty shadows on the wall around the mirror. I've also got a large stencil to paint silhouettes of cow parsley on the wall by the front door which has been scuffed and scratched.

So many ideas, such little time! Watch this space over the next year for more things appearing in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment